I am an open source software architect, specializing in PHP.
I am currently project lead for Zend Framework, a project with which I have been involved since before the first public preview release, and which has expanded to include Apigility and Expressive. I am a Zend Certified Engineer, and a member of the Zend Education Advisory Board, the group responsible for authoring the Zend Certification Exam. I contribute to a number of open source projects, blog on PHP-related topics, and present talks and tutorials related to PHP development and the projects to which I contribute.
Selected Work Experience
- Zend Technologies, Inc.
(RogueWave Software since October 2015)
Duties include scoping Zend Framework, Apigility, and Expressive releases; interfacing with Zend customers and partners; acting as community liaison; creating architecture guidelines for all projects under the Zend Framework umbrella; participation with standards groups (specifically PHP-FIG); and more.
- Zend Technologies, Inc.
Duties included maintenance and development of public-facing company websites; creation and maintenance of middle-tier web service layer used by public websites and internal processes; site architecture and team development; contribution to Zend Framework; and more.
- National Gardening Association
Duties included development and maintenance of NGA web properties; systems administration of both public and internal network infrastructure, including LVS-HA web/database cluster, bulk mail system, and company email server.
I've been speaking at PHP-related conferences and user groups since October 2005, as well as performing online webinars, participating in podcasts, and more. I've spoken at dozens of conferences, delivering well over 100 presentations. Below are a few select presentations; contact me if you need a link to a presentation not listed here.
- Real-World Solutions for Developing High-Quality PHP Frameworks and Applications
Contributed a case study entitled "Testing Service Oriented APIs", detailing unit testing and integration testing approaches for web services, using approaches learned in testing Zend Framework.
- php|architect: Lifecyle of a Bug
- php|architect: Zend Framework
- php|architect: Optimizing Dojo and Zend Framework Integration
- The PHP Anthology: 101 Essential Tips, Tricks & Hacks, 2nd Edition
Contributed three chapters to this edition, including Chapter 3, "Error Handling"; Chapter 12, "XML and Web Services"; and Chapter 13, "Best Practices".
Open Source Contributions
- Contributions made via GitHub.
PHP implementation of Mustache,
a templating language.
- Contributions have been made since the project began.
- Contributions have been made since before the project began, as it was forked from an experiment of my own.
- Zend Framework
Contributions have been made since January 2006:
- From January 2006 — April 2008, as PHP Developer for Zend Technologies
- From April 2008 — March 2009, as Software Architect for Zend Framework
- From April 2009 — Present, as Project Lead for Zend Framework
Lead maintainer for File_Fortune.
PHP port of the perl module CGI::Application.